Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Never Forget Mother's Day

Good Evening Peoples,

Hope all's been well. Today's topic is from the heart as it always is. An important day passed and I realized that a bunch of us men gave little regard to it. Gentlemen, as you all know, Mother's Day was just around the corner. For those of you who forgot, this is the day to honour the woman that brought you into this world. Since everyone knows how much sons love their mamas, I feel it is my duty to write this piece, so pay attention.

 

Mothers: Unsung Heroes

Mothers Day is the time to recognize our mamas as the unsung heroes of our society. My grandmother once told my mother, "From the day your child is born to the day you die you will never stop worrying." Now that is what I call pressure. Most of us can barely stand worrying about ourselves, imagine having to worry about three other people too.

It is often said that a mother holds an intimate, inexplicable bond with her child. When her child feels pain or joy, so too does she. The path of motherhood is not an easy one, and the women that chose this path should be commended; they have chosen a road filled with hardships that we men will never fully comprehend. 

Mothers: Lifelong Dedication

From the day her child is born to the day she dies, a mother will laugh, cry, ache, and ultimately feel what her child feels. As men, we don't understand this very well, however, it is crucial for understanding our mothers. Although our society increasingly shuns the role of a mother, I am not about to dismiss the idea that mothers are at the center of families. A mother is the glue that holds a family together. Mothers don't get the credit or respect they deserve these days, so, show her some love on Mother's Day, dude.

African Mother

Of course, being African just about assures that I love my mother and that I would do just about anything to help her out. I'm a mama's boy, you got a problem with that? I didn't think so. But the love and respect I have for my mama is not blind. She has earned it through blood, sweat and tears. She has earned it through countless nights by my side when I was feeling ill. She has earned it through the innumerable evenings and weekends spent taking my siblings and me to all sorts of events. She has earned it by living less large so she could put her kids through school. Of course, my father had a lot to do with that too, but he'll get his turn on Father's Day.

She has earned it through self-sacrifice; some mother would go one week without food so that their child could eat one meal. She has earned it through her strength as a person. When she was sick, depressed or tired, she did her best to not let it show and still took care of us. She didn't burden us with the pressures of the outside world. She carried those pressures, her pressures, our pressures and the family's pressures, on her back the whole time. She didn't complain, fuss or make a big deal about it; that is what a good mother does. And a great, hold on, extraordinary, mother she is.

She taught me fortitude in the face of hardships, courage in the face of downfalls, confidence and strength in the face of adversity, humility in the face of achievement, perseverance in the face of failure, and pride in the face of a job well done. My mum taught me a lot more things, but I can only write so much. I'm sure you all get the idea (for those of you who don't, why don't you check in to the local guest for a permanent stay?).

Family Is Key

Our was not always rich, we never had a brand new Benz parked in the house garage; come to think of it.   At the center of it all was my mama. I'm not trying to sound sappy here, boys, but I must give credit where credit is due. From birth to adulthood, my mother nurtured me and to this day I do not think I'll be able to repay my mama for all that she has done for me. But I can assure you, guys, of one thing: I will try hard and you should all do the same.

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers!

Watch your back, boys, and keep your noses clean.

the audacious truth

No comments:

Post a Comment